Google Translate

Monday 18 March 2013

Choosing a culturally diverse text!

I have just explored my mini-library at home - I don't have any books that I consider "culturally diverse" :(

I have always bought books based on theme and price.  I tend to rummage charity shops and look for books that will interest children....I have never thought to look at the diversity of a text....

I actually feel ashamed, how can the children I teach feel empowered - when the books I have do not show a diverse culture?  How can ALL children in school become responsible citizens, having respect for others by understanding their cultures...when the texts in schools are not diverse.

The four capacities

 I have always chosen books with enjoyment in my mind - however I think that these texts are just the stepping stones into literacy.  That yes children need more exposure to more complex texts that engage their thinking.....and that children need to be taught to critise texts??? 

Stated in the National Primary Strategy in England:

Children also need to be explicitly taught how to critically approach

texts used across the whole curriculum. They need to learn that

language is never neutral or impartial.

National Primary Strategy 


How do we teach this to children from a young age?  And what text do I now take with me tomorrow?  Perhaps I shall see what is available and what others will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment