Google Translate

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Cummins 1986

I could see posts on Moodle and wondered how this paper had such a huge impact on others - I am having issues with it - I do agree with all his points but there is something....

"Students who are empowered by their school experiences develop the ability, confidence and motivation to succeed academically" (Cummins, 1986)

I have this statement highlighted and I now realise my issue with it...I feel this is true of ALL children.  I think that in a way this paper is short sighted as it is targeted at EAL only...but this statement is true for EVERY child. 

I do totally agree with Cummins - I just believe it to be true for every child.  It is how we "empower" our children that is where schools/educators have been mistaken.  I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment